Are you looking to give your new white shoes a modern, worn-in look? With so many style trends leaning towards sneakers with that perfectly imperfect appearance and “lived-in” feel, it’s no wonder the desire for aged footwear has become increasingly popular!
The good news is, there are plenty of ways to achieve this look without having to buy an expensive pair of vintage kicks. From brushing techniques to cleverly placed dirt stains, we’ll walk you through some simple methods on how to make new white shoes look broken in.
Keep reading for all our top tips and tricks!
How To Make New White Shoes Look Worn?
1. Start by brushing the shoes with a soft-bristled brush. This will help remove any excess material and give the shoe an overall softer look.
2. Use sandpaper to roughen up certain areas of the shoe, like around the edges or in between creases – this will create a slightly distressed effect.
3. Dip a cotton swab in some black ink and dab it onto the shoe to add small smudges and stains. This will help create the illusion of dirt around the edges or on worn-down areas where you have applied sandpaper.
4. Rub a pencil eraser over scuffs and scrapes to cover up any damage. This will help make the shoe look worn and well-loved, rather than brand-new and pristine.
5. If you’re looking to truly age your shoes and give them that perfectly “lived-in” look, try leaving them outside in the elements for a few hours or days
whether it’s in the rain, snow, or on a sunny sidewalk.
This will help them pick up some natural dirt and grime that will add to their worn-in look.
6. Finally, if you have a darker-colored shoe, try applying some white vinegar over the surface – this will give the shoe an intentionally messy appearance and make it look like it has been worn for a long time.
Do white shoes look better when dirty?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the appearance of white shoes can be a matter of personal preference. Some people may prefer the look of clean and polished white shoes, while others may find that dirty or worn-in white shoes have a more modern or trendy aesthetic.
How Do You Make Leather Shoes Look Worn?
1. Start by brushing the shoes with a soft-bristled brush to remove any dirt, debris, and dust from the surface of the leather. This will help create a smoother look and feel that will be easier to work with when trying to give the shoes a worn appearance.
2. Use sandpaper to lightly score and scuff the surface of the leather, focusing on areas that would naturally wear over time, like around the edges or in between creases. This will create a slightly distressed look.
3. Dip a cotton swab in some black ink or shoe dye and dab it onto certain worn-down or scuffed areas to help darken and age the leather. This will help add some natural wear to the surface of the shoe, making it look more worn over time.
4. Rub a pencil eraser over creases and scrapes to help cover up any damage that has already occurred on the leather surface. This will create a more realistic look and help make the shoes appear well-loved.
How can I darken leather naturally?
1. Start by cleaning the leather surface thoroughly with a damp cloth or sponge to remove any dirt and debris.
2. Next, mix a small amount of vinegar with some water in a bowl and use this mixture to gently rub into the surface of the leather. This will help darken the leather naturally over time, giving it an aged and worn appearance.
3. Leave the leather to air dry for a few hours or overnight, then inspect your work and repeat as needed until you are satisfied with the results.
4. Finally, use a soft-bristled brush to gently buff the surface of the leather, which will help smooth out any rough patches and help the darkening process last longer.
Does coconut oil make the leather darker?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the effect of coconut oil on leather can vary depending on a number of different factors.
Some people may find that applying coconut oil to their leather shoes or other items helps darken the surface over time, while others may experience little to no change in color when using this product.
How do you burnish shoes?
Some common methods include using sandpaper, brushing with a soft-bristled brush, and applying heat or other treatments to the surface of the shoes.
The key is to experiment with different techniques and materials until you find one that works best for your specific needs.
What is the difference between burnishing and blending?
Burnishing is the process of creating a more polished, shiny appearance on the surface of leather or other materials while blending typically refers to techniques that help to disguise or soften any signs of damage or wear.
Depending on the application, burnishing, and blending can sometimes be used interchangeably, but they are generally considered to be two distinct techniques.
If you are looking to give your new white shoes a more worn-in appearance, there are a number of different methods that you can try.
Some popular techniques include using sandpaper, brushing with a soft-bristled brush, and applying heat or other treatments to the surface of the shoes.
Ultimately, the best approach will depend on your specific needs, as well as your personal preferences for how you want the finished result to look.
So whether you are looking for a more natural “aged” look or a more polished and refined appearance, there are plenty of options to choose from!